Prices and Sizes
Twin XL – $799
Full – $999
Queen – $1099
King – $1,499
Cal King – $1,499
Loom & Leaf Mattress Review
The Loom & Leaf mattress is a luxury memory foam bed made by Saatva. You might have heard of the Saatva, a foam and innerspring hybrid known for its high quality natural materials.
The key difference with the Loom & Leaf mattress is that it has more of a memory foam feel than the Saatva’s innerspring buoyancy. The Loom & Leaf mattress is also a little more expensive than the Saatva.
Saatva also makes a third mattress called Zenhaven. This is a latex mattress runs $1,899 for a queen, making it the most expensive of the three by far. But today we’re just talking about the Loom & Leaf mattress, the memory foam option of the three. Let’s dive right in:
- Luxury comfort and construction: The Loom & Leaf mattress is anything if not comfortable. If you love memory foam, you can expect a great sleeping experience on this bed. From cooling gel to several types of high quality foam, this mattress doesn’t cut corners. You also can expect it to hold up for a long time for this reason.
- Price point: This isn’t necessarily a con about the Loom & Leaf mattress, but its price point is higher than many direct to consumer memory foam mattresses on the market. A queen runs $1099. This higher price point is justified because of the mattress’ quality. But it might not be the best option for someone looking for a bed for a dorm or first apartment who is working on a tight budget. This is definitely an investment bed that you can expect to enjoy for many years to come.
If you don’t mind parting with a bit more cash in the name of comfort and durability, the Loom & Leaf mattress is a wonderful buy. Make sure memory foam is your preferred mattress material, though, as this bed showcases a classic memory foam experience that will contour to the body and leave you feeling both enveloped and supported by the surface of the bed.
Loom & Leaf Mattress Construction
The Loom & Leaf bed is 12 inches tall, making it a little loftier than your average mattress. It is made up of four primary layers. All four layers are encased in a fabric cover made from 100 percent organic cotton as well as thistle. The thistle acts as both a flame resistant material, and it also adds to the cooling factor of the mattress. Memory foam can often cause sleepers to overheat, so it’s great that the Loom & Leaf mattress cover helps counteract that.
- 2-inch gel foam top layer: This top layer is made of “Spinal Zone Gel,” a cooling gel that conforms to the shape of your pressure areas for optimal comfort and support. The gel is also specifically formulated to keep sleepers cool.
- 5-inch eco-friendly Viscoelastic memory foam: The next layer down is where the Loom & Leaf mattress shows its strengths to sleepers who love the enveloping feel of memory foam. This layer contours to the body to provide great pain relief and support.
- Polyfoam transition layer: If a memory foam mattress doesn’t have a sturdy enough material below the foam, it can make sleepers sink into the bed to an uncomfortable degree. To provide some counterbalance to the softness of the top layers of the mattress, a section of dense polyfoam sits underneath.
- Dense polyfoam foundation layer: The bottom layer of the Loom & Leaf mattress is made of a 5.5 inch thick support foam. It provides shape, durability, and structure to the bed overall. This layer is also engineered to promote airflow to keep the bed cool.
All of the materials in the Loom & Leaf mattress are chosen for their environmental footprints. The foams, cotton, and thistle are all eco-friendly. They also treat the mattress with a proprietary Guardin® botanical antimicrobial fabric treatment. This makes it harder for bacteria to grow on the mattress without using harsh chemicals in the process.
The Loom & Leaf mattress works with or without a box springs. You can place it on any flat surface such as a platform bed or even the floor if you are opting for a more minimalist look. The bed also works with adjustable platforms. The Saatva company sells their own adjustable platform frame called the Lineal Base. The base features under-bed lighting, a remote control, and full body massage programs.
How Does the Loom & Leaf Mattress Feel?
The Loom & Leaf mattress comes in two firmness levels: relaxed firm and firm. The relaxed firm clocks at a 5-7 on a scale of 10, and the firm runs closer to a true 8. Most sleepers would probably be more comfortable on the relaxed firm option. It keeps cradling and support factors in balance. If you are a back or stomach sleeper and love a firmer feel, though, you will probably be better off going with the firm option.
The sinkage level of the Loom & Leaf mattress is great for side sleepers since the memory foam construction gives it a plush, soft surface layer. When you lie down on the mattress, you will feel it contouring to your body right away. However, the sink factor isn’t so intense that it creates the quicksand feeling that can occur with memory foam beds that are too soft. The lower support layers help counterbalance the sink of the upper foam layers.
Responsiveness and Bounce
This bed is not as quick to respond as mattresses with latex or spring construction. Like any memory foam bed, it does not bounce immediately back into place. That being said, it is responsive enough to make it easy to move around on.
This is a category in which the Loom & Leaf mattress definitely outperforms the Saatva mattress made by the same company. Memory foam is better than coils at absorbing motion. Compared to other memory foam mattresses, though, the Loom & Leaf mattress doesn’t shine as the cream of the crop. This is because of the cooling gel layer above the memory foam. So overall, motion transfer on this bed is good but not excellent. It shouldn’t be a problem at all unless you are an extremely light sleeper and need no motion transfer.
The creators of the Loom & Leaf mattress put a lot of work into keeping this bed cool, and their work paid off. Features like the breathable cover, cooling gel layer, and airflow promoting base foam layer all help contribute to the cool sleeping experience you can expect from the Loom & Leaf mattress.
In addition to temperature control, memory foam mattress can run the risk of compressing in at the edges, making sleepers feel like their position near the edge of the bed is not secure. While the Loom & Leaf mattress doesn’t have a reinforced edge perimeter like some of its competitors, it does a great job at edge support. You can expect to feel cradled and secure even if you are very close to the edge of the bed.
Off-Gassing & Smell
The Loom & Leaf bed does not have any significant off gassing issues. This is likely thanks to the eco-friendly materials used throughout the mattress. While there may be some initial scent when you first get the mattress, it is no cause for alarm and will dissipate quickly.
Loom & Leaf Mattress Quick Facts
- Certifications: Certi-PUR U.S.
- Where is it made? U.S. and Canada
- Does it need a foundation? No
- Does it work on adjustable beds? Yes
- Shipping: Free
- Sleep Trial: 120 nights
- Warranty: 15 years
White Glove Delivery
Your purchase of the Loom & Leaf mattress includes free white glove delivery and removal of your old mattress. Their warranty and sleep trial are both a bit longer than the regular 10-year, 100-night industry standards. This is a great sign that they stand by their product’s durability and comfort.
The Saatva brand walks their talk when it comes to being an industry leader in environmental sustainability. They are lead sponsors of the Sustainable Furnishings Council. Their main flagship factory runs on solar energy as well.
Overall, the Loom & Leaf mattress has very positive customer reviews. These reviews tend to focus on the comfort and the feel of the bed. Many mention the lack of smelly off gassing. They also reflect the Saatva company’s dedication to customer service.
★★★★★ “This is the best mattress I have ever had! Bought it over a year ago and I STILL get in bed every night and say to myself “Oh I LOVE this mattress”! I will be buying one for my guest room. I have heard about the breaking in period on memory foam mattresses (Smell and firmness). I did not have any of these problems. ” — Ashley, Loomandleaf.com
★★★★★ “I have had my king relaxed firm mattress for two years now. Every night when I climb into bed I’m reminded how much I love this mattress! Had been looking at buying a Stearns & Foster that cost almost four times the loom and leaf, so glad I made the decision I did!” — Diane, Loomandleaf.com
We Recommend The Loom & Leaf Mattress For…
This is a great mattress for someone who wants an affordable but high quality memory foam bed. With two firmness options, sleepers of any style — back, side, or stomach — can choose the right level of support to suit their needs.
Lastly, the environmentally friendly and non-toxic materials used to make the Loom & Leaf mattress can be a big deciding factor for people wanting to embrace a more natural lifestyle.
Loom & Leaf Mattress Review – Conclusion
If you love memory foam and you have thought about purchasing an expensive Tempur-Pedic mattress or something similar, the Loom & Leaf mattress is a more affordable option that doesn’t skimp on quality.
Side, back, or stomach sleepers can all expect a super comfortable and supportive sleeping experience that keeps the skeleton aligned and reduces pain and pressure. If you are on the fence about purchasing a Loom & Leaf mattress, it’s safe to say that you probably won’t be disappointed by this outstanding bed.