Prices and Sizes
Twin XL – $600
Full – $770
Queen – $695
King – $875
Cal King – $895
GhostBed Mattress Review
Shopping for a latex or memory foam mattress can lead to indecision. How do you know which material will be right for you? With GhostBed blend of memory foam and latex, you can enjoy the benefits of both.
The GhostBed mattress comes with a great 20 year warranty and has a positive customer service track record — not to mention super fast delivery. This bed is also on the less expensive side compared to many of its other direct to consumer mattress peers. During this GhostBed review, keep in mind that we will be talking about the basic version of their mattress. They also sell a more premium version called the GhostBed Luxe, which features advanced cooling technology. Let’s take a look at the major pros and cons of purchasing the classic GhostBed mattress.
- The price point is enticing: The GhostBed currently runs only $695 for a queen, making it one of the less expensive options of its type. If you are not in a position to drop a thousand dollars on a new mattress, you can still get a lot of the benefits of a latex and memory foam mattress with the GhostBed.
- You’ll stay cool all night: One of the GhostBed’s biggest draws is its reputation as one of the coolest sleeping bed in a box models. From their temperature conscious outer cover to their “cool burst technology” latex, this brand takes their heat retention reduction seriously.
- There aren’t multiple firmness options: Many direct to consumer mattress brands let you choose from multiple firmness options so you can get the best sleep possible for your sleeping style. With the GhostBed, you will get a 6-7 out of 10 on the firmness scale, which is a common firmness level.
- Motion transfer and edge support aren’t its strong suits: If you are a very light sleeper, or if it is important to you to feel supported near the edge of the bed, the GhostBed might not be for you.
The GhostBed may not be the height of luxury or technology, but it’s a cost effective and comfortable mattress that is also built to last. If you are mattress shopping on a budget and it’s important to you to pick something you can rely on for a long time, the GhostBed mattress is a solid option.
GhostBed Mattress Construction
The GhostBed mattress is made up of a blend of memory foam and latex, with the latex layer placed closest to the sleeper to make the most of its cooling properties. The bed is 11 inches tall and weighs 89 pounds. It is one of the lighter mattresses of its type, so it will be easier to move around. This bed contains three primary layers:
- 1.5-Inch Latex Layer: This top layer creates a satisfactory level of spring and bounce. It is also responsible for the GhostBed’s great temperature control. It is areated to allow for optimal airflow throughout the night
- 2 Inch Gel Memory Foam Layer: The fact that the memory foam here is gel is another reason the GhostBed won’t sleep hot. The memory foam layer contours to the body, ensuring pressure points are cradled and supported. This specific blend of gel memory foam is proprietary, meaning you won’t find it used in any mattress besides the GhostBed.
- 7.5 Inch Core Foam Support Layer: The bottom later of the GhostBed mattress helps give its shape better integrity and lends overall support to the bed. This base is made of a high density polyfoam.
The mattress cover is a viscose and polyester blend material. This can be a detraction for those who prefer organic cotton or other less synthetic materials. However, the mattress cover does not detract from GhostBed’s superior coolness, and your sheets will cover the polyester material anyway. The cover is thin and stretchy, so it won’t block airflow or bunch up as you change positions in the night.
How Does the GhostBed Mattress Feel?
As you first lie down on the GhostBed, you’ll feel a nice springy quality because of the top latex layer. Once your weight begins to sink into the mattress a bit more, you will notice the sink of the memory foam layer supporting your hips and shoulders. The GhostBed is an average firmness — a 6-7 out of 10.
The GhostBed bed is on the firm side, making it an excellent choice for back sleepers. You should not experience too much sinkage with this bed. Expect to feel like you are being supported enough that you’re resting more on top of the bed than in it.
Responsiveness and Bounce
The top layer of latex helps give this bed a springy, bouncy feeling on contact. There is a little less responsiveness here than in other mattresses because of the memory foam, though. You’ll love this bed if you enjoy the feeling of your mattress conforming to your body. But you won’t get that “stuck” feeling that entirely memory foam mattresses can produce.
Motion transfer is a bigger deal to some people than to others. The GhostBed mattress performs a little worse than average in motion transfer tests, but it will never be as bad as an old, springy mattress. You might feel your partner moving around at night, so consider how light of a sleeper you are to determine how important motion transfer is to you.
One of the GhostBed’s claims to fame is its superior temperature control. This is due to a few different factors. First, the top layer of latex is aerated for better airflow. Second, the proprietary gel memory foam layer is designed specifically with coolness in mind. Third, the thin material used for the mattress cover also promotes the circulation of cool air around the bed.
Edge support is one area where the GhostBed does not perform well. If you are sleeping near the edge, you may feel less stable than you’d like. Edge support is not a bit decision influencing factor for most mattress shoppers, because the average customer doesn’t need the edges of their bed to be particularly sturdy.
Off-Gassing & Smell
The GhostBed mattress will come in a box, and may give off some smell during the unboxing period. This is totally normal, and your bed will not retain a permanent smell after this brief off gassing period of a few hours or days.
GhostBed Mattress Quick Facts
- Certifications: CertiPUR-US
- Where is it made? U.S.A.
- Does it need a foundation? No
- Does it work on adjustable beds? Yes
- Shipping: Free
- Sleep Trial: 101 nights
- Warranty: 20 years
★★★★☆ “Took a couple weeks to get use to but I love it. It was extremely firm when we got it and I don’t particularly like firm mattresses but my husband needed it for his back. After about a week I had to put my memory foam mattress topper back on and now I sleep so good, and its still firm enough for my husband. Love the free pillows we got, super soft and comfy. So far it was a great purchase.
— Krystal, GhostBed.com
★★★★★ “I typically only make major purchases if I’ve been able to do a lot of research and weigh all the options, so I had some trepidation about buying a bed online. I was not disappointed. The bed is supportive yet comfortable, and not hot as some people say foam mattresses can be. Some of the old minor aches and pains we had with the old bed are now history. Glad we made the purchase!” — E.S., Amazon.com
We Recommend The GhostBed Mattress For…
This is an ideal mattress for people who have a tendency to sleep hot and want a cool, breathable mattress. GhostBed has put a lot of thought into making their bed one of the coolest on the market.
Because of the GhostBed’s medium to hard firmness, it is optimal for back sleepers. That doesn’t mean that side or stomach sleepers could not enjoy it, however. They may just find that this mattress is a little on the firm side for them.
Another great thing about the GhostBed is that it is very durable. The GhostBed’s parent company Nature’s Sleep has been around for quite a while, and their 20 year warranty shows that they stand by their product to perform well for a very long time.
GhostBed Mattress Review – Conclusion
The GhostBed offers a great warranty and a 101 night trial in addition to free shipping. They are known for ultra fast shipping, so you can buy your GhostBed mattress today and expect it to ship tomorrow.
In addition to being convenient in terms of the purchasing process, the GhostBed is also a really great deal for the price. It is cheaper than many of its competitors, but still features stand-out qualities like advanced cooling capabilities and contouring memory foam. I
f you are on the fence about the GhostBed and need an inexpensive mattress, you will probably be impressed by this bed’s comfort and quality.