Avocado Mattress Review
Prices and Sizes
Twin XL – $999
Full – $1,199
Queen – $1,399
King – $1,699
Cal King – $1,699
Avocado Mattress Overview
The Avocado green mattress sets itself apart from the competition by emphasizing its high quality eco-friendly materials. This latex mattress comes with a warranty that is longer than we usually see, and the company also puts a percentage of their profits toward environmental nonprofits.
- Long warranty: The warranty for the Avocado mattress is 25 years as opposed to the industry standard of 10 years. This is a great sign that the Avocado brand stands behind their product.
- Natural materials: The materials in the Avocado bed are above and beyond when it comes to eco-consciousness. They use organic wool, organic cotton, natural latex, and recycled steel. They do not use any harmful chemical adhesives or flame retardants that could pose potential health problems.
- Price point: The Avocado bed does not fall into the category of a budget buy for most shoppers, with a queen costing over $1,000. This is more of an investment bed to use for many years than a quick solution for a dorm room. They do offer a financing program that allows you to make monthly payments without a high interest rate.
If you are ready to spend a little more for worthwhile quality materials, the Avocado mattress is a great buy. It meets the highest standards for being all natural and nontoxic. It is on the firmer side, making it perfect for back and stomach sleepers. But the added flexibility of the pillow top option means that this mattress can work for everybody.
Avocado Mattress Construction
The Avocado mattress is made of Dunlop natural latex sourced from trees. There are two layers of latex — one softer and one firmer — resting on top of a foundation layer made of over 1,000 support coils made from recycled steel.
For an additional charge, shoppers can add a euro-style pillow topper to their mattress purchase. This additional layer is constructed from 100 percent latex. According to the Avocado site, this addition provides “pressure relief & eco-luxury.” This is a great idea to add if you are a side sleeper. The regular option may be too firm otherwise, as it is optimal for back and stomach sleepers.
- Tufted New Zealand Joma wool rosettes: On the top layer of the Avocado bed, you will notice a tufting method used to secure all of the layers in place. This also adds to the aesthetics of the bed, as it’s quite decorative. But it also helps prevent stretching and wearing out of the outer cotton layer. The tufting is all done by hand — which is probably one of the reasons this bed comes in at a higher price point. Avocado says this wool is antimicrobial and resistant to dust mites as well.
- Top latex layer: The top layer of Dunlop latex is two inches of rubber foam that cradles pressure points and gives the sensation of sinking into the bed to reach the support layers below.
- Second latex layer: The lower layer of Dunlop latex is two inches as well, but this time a slightly firmer blend of latex is used. This helps add to the responsiveness and bounce of the bed, making it easier to move around on and minimizing excessive sink.
- Coil layer: Under the latex foam rests an eight inch layer of over 1,000 steel support coils. These help with ergonomics and spinal alignment while you sleep. Each coil is individually wrapped in fabric. The outer edge of the bed is reinforced, which acts as a perimeter to improve edge support.
The material that makes up the cover of the Avocado mattress is 100 percent certified organic cotton. It meets the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS). It is breathable and helps to absorb moisture while sleeping to keep you cool all night long.
Because of the natural construction of this mattress, it is also more recyclable than most options on the market. This probably isn’t a make or break factor for most shoppers, but anyone who is especially environmentally conscious might feel good knowing that their mattress will not end up in a landfill.
How Does the Avocado Mattress Feel?
The Avocado mattress only comes in one firmness option, but you can add a euro style pillow top to your purchase if you prefer a softer feel. With the topper, the firmness is about a 6 out of 10. Without the topper, the firmness is more of a 7-8 out of 10. Overall, the Avocado mattress is on the firmer side. So if you want a super plush feel, you might want to go with something memory foam instead.
This bed does a wonderful job of balancing sinkage with bounce. The softness of the top layer of latex supports and contours to the skeleton, but you won’t feel an unpleasant amount of sinkage with this bed. It’s just enough sink to make for a truly comfortable experience, but you will still feel as though you are resting on top of the bed rather than in it.
Responsiveness and Bounce
Responsiveness and bounce are two of the Avocado mattress’ strong suits. That means this bed is great for intimacy, as the resilience of the latex material means it bounces back into place right away. This is an easy bed to move around on, and it offers a ton of support for weary joints.
Motion transfer on the Avocado is about average. You will not feel your partner’s every motion, but you might expect to notice more movement from the other side of the bed than you would with other types of mattresses.
The Avocado company has put a lot of measures in place to make sure this mattress doesn’t run too hot. From the breathable wool and cotton to the porous latex foam, this is not a bed you will have to worry about overheating in.
This mattress has much better edge support than most of its competitors. That is because the coil support layer of the bed has a reinforced edge. So if you are sleeping near the edge of the bed, you can expect to feel very secure and in no danger of rolling off the side.
Off-Gassing & Smell
Thanks to its all natural materials, the Avocado does not have much issue when it comes to off gassing and smell. . It will have some smell initially like all mattresses do, but this will dissipate quickly and should not be much of a nuisance at all.
Avocado Mattress Quick Facts
- GREENGUARD Gold Certified
- Eco INSTITUT Certified
- OKEO-TEK Standard 100 Certified
- GOTS Certified Cotton
- Where is it made? California, U.S.A.
- Does it need a foundation? No
- Does it work on adjustable beds? Yes
- Shipping: Free
- Sleep Trial: 100 nights
- Warranty: 25 years
White Glove Delivery
The Avocado company offers white glove delivery of the mattress to your home. They will also remove your old mattress. This can save you from the headache of having to lug a heavy box to your bedroom unaided and removes the trouble of having to haul your old mattress away.
The Avocado company donates 1 percent of all of their sales toward nonprofits benefiting environmental causes. They also run a number of sustainability initiatives. So if you are someone who likes to vote with your dollar and feels strongly about environmental issues, the Avocado mattress might be a great fit for you ethically as well as in terms of performance.
The Avocado mattress has really positive reviews across the web. Since they are only sold directly through the brand’s website, there are not Amazon reviews. However, the response to this mattress has been overwhelmingly positive — especially among shoppers who have concerns about having a bed made of natural and non-toxic materials.
★★★★★ “It’s been almost a month and we are extremely happy with our Avocado so far! We purchased the standard mattress without the pillow top and it’s the perfect level of firmness for my hubby and I which has proven to be a tough task until now.” — Kristi, Avocadogreenmattress.com
★★★★★ “We knew we wanted a king size green organic mattress as I have multiple chemical sensitivity. We decided on the Avocado green mattress with the pillow top after hours of investigating numerous websites. This was our first time buying a mattress online. None of the box stores really sold a true green mattress.” — Gary, Avocadogreenmattress.com
We Recommend The Avocado Mattress For…
The Avocado mattress is a wonderful choice for anyone looking to make their home space truly all-natural and green. Anyone concerned about the use of chemical components in other mattresses can sleep soundly knowing that the Avocado is constructed with high quality natural materials.
This is also a great bed for eco-conscious individuals who want to support environmental causes, as the company donates money to nonprofits helping the health of the planet.
The Avocado runs on the firm side, making it a solid choice for back and stomach sleepers. Side sleepers may find the regular Avocado mattress too firm and should go with the pillow top option for added cushion.
Avocado Mattress Review – Conclusion
You’re unlikely to regret purchasing an Avocado green mattress. It is made of very durable and thoughtfully sourced materials. It offers wonderful support and comfort to those who enjoy a firm bed with a bouncy, responsive latex feel. Even though its price point is slightly higher than many of its competitors, the Avocado mattress earns its place as a worthwhile mattress investment.